This page has been created to allow you all a place to provide feedback and to report any issues you may be having with the apps.
EQ Editor FAQs
- Where is the support for matrices?
Unfortunately, matrix support wasn’t an easy problem to fix, so it has been MIA since the very beginning. The plan is to include it in the next major revision, but that won’t be available for several months at this point.
- What support does the app have for TeX and what are the chances of adding it in the future?
The current data model is basically 100% XML which doesn’t play well with TeX. If you have TeX that you want to view on the iPad, the freeware EQ Reader can handle it. You can also look into some of the XSL stylesheets that exist to convert MathML to TeX and vice versa. I do have an app in mind for handling TeX, but it’s still in the planning stages.
- Are there any plans to improve the keyboard interface for EQ Editor/EQ Lite? It’s kind of annoying to use the table view to type letters.
Yes, but development has been on hold until the most recent app has been released (and there’s another app on the drawing board that may push new development back even further).
- What are the differences between EQ Editor and EQ Editor Lite? EQ Editor is only for iPad. EQ Editor Lite is both iPad and iPhone. Because EQ Editor Lite is a universal app, it doesn’t have support for as many math symbols and the interface relies more on lists of math symbols (and therefore has fewer symbols available). This interface is less intuitive than the “pro” version which lets you do a long press and have a menu with the math symbols just pop up on screen. They both have basically the same typesetting engine and have the same output formats.
- I’m having trouble finding the _____ symbol. Do you know where it is? If you’re using the full version, the odds are good that it’s there, but you may need to look through a number of popups to find it. To create a popup, press and hold the key for 0.5 secs and then release. A menu will appear with additional options. The layout for most symbols is to have related symbols (like the plus and plus/minus) grouped together and then to try and keep commonly used symbols near the top. of the edit screen.
- I would really like to be able to just tap the screen and have it put the cursor where I tap it.
This is another feature that is more difficult to implement than it seems but it is something that is on the table for future versions of the app.
- I find the help file to be a bit lacking, do you have something better?
Currently, no, but when/if I have the time I will be going back and reviewing the help file. I also plan to take the new app I’m writing and use it to create a better manual (maybe in the form of an ePub).
Known issues with Notebook:
- Dropcaps are not styling correctly. It seems to decide to treat any newly inserted text in a paragraph as something equivalent to a backspace. My suggestion is don’t add dropcaps until the very end of the process and if you are wanting to change a paragraph with one of those in it: go back and toggle dropcaps off, make your changes, then insert the drop caps style again. This issue will be addressed in the first patch.
- Pasting text from iBooks (for example) seems to cause it to copy the exact same style as was present in iBooks without being able to clear formatting automatically and adjust it to your own style. This may or may not be some internal webkit issue but will be addressed in the first patch.
Please send in any issues you have with the app not functioning correctly. Update: a fix has been found for these two issues. Expect patch 1.01 sometime next week.